Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Another Cup of Coffee

He was finishing his first coffee as she came in. His eyes had been at the cafe's entrance for sometime now. He stood as she came and settled herself opposite him.
"Thanks for coming", he said
"Well, I had to come. Need to clarify a few things", she went silent as her coffee was served.
Surprised, she looked at him. "How did you know my flavor?"
"Hmm......trade secret", he said and winked at her.
"Are you always like this?"
He smiled, "Nah.....it’s you", and kept on looking at her.
She blushed and as if it to hide herself, started to sip on her coffee. This was not going as per plan. She had to tell him it was not possible. Things had to be set in the right perspective.
"Listen......its not possible", she said. Her hands….. tightly clutching her glass.
"What is not possible? I haven't said a thing."
"See, I am coming out of a bad relationship and getting into another........not possible. And I have just known you for 5 months"
He sighed and gently touched her hands. Her grip loosened on the glass and slowly he held them and brought them in the middle of the table.
She looked the other way. Her lips tightly clutched.
"I told you its not possible", she said softly and tried against her will to leave the gentle grip of his hands.
"I understand everything you say. But please listen to me", he said. Her hands stopped moving as she looked at him, as if prodding him to speak.
"See, we are all like the pieces of an unsolved jigsaw puzzle. We are looking for the right part that completes us, and solves the puzzle. You solve me." He was looking at her. His words were sinking in.
Her hands slowly had a soft grip on his. She looked at him and smiled, "You have a way with words."
He smiled back, "Can I have my coffee now?"
She became conscious and let her hands go. As she withdrew her hands, he smiled and grabbed them back. "I finished my coffee long back."
She blushed, "then, can I finish mine?"
"No.................” he chuckled, "of course you can."
"On one side I understand and like what you say, but my parents are also looking out for someone for me. I don't wanna disappoint them, but their idea of deciding my life partner over a cup of coffee and just one meeting.........not my way."
"Well, we have known each other for 5 months, and this is definitely not our first coffee out together. Give yourself a chance. Give me a chance. I know we can work out."
She smiled and sipped her coffee. "You know I had planned to refuse you and move out fast."
"I know.........I know....” he said, "I have a way with words."
Both of them smiled.
She finished her coffee.
As they moved out, he felt her fingers brushing his hands. He looked at her. And slowly their fingers inter-twined.
"This is good", she said as they walked away.

No comments: